Cold Climate Heat Pumps (Improving low ambient temperature performance of Air-Source Heat Pumps)
The goal of this Annex is to identify technology solutions leading to successful (efficient & reliable) systems/equipment for residential and small commercial buildings in cold climate locations, with the primary focus on air-source heat pumps.
Start date: June 2012
End date: June 2014
- Identify potential equipment & system options for detailed evaluation
- Determine energy savings potential over range of cold climate locations
- Develop final Annex report comparing various design options for cold climate heat pump applications on common basis
Project manager and participating countries
United States (operating agent) and Japan. The Annex is still open for new particiants, contact your ExCo delegate and Antonia Bouza.
The Annex has been structured into the following tasks:
- Task 1. Thorough review of prior RD&D activities related to heat pump applications in cold climates (air-to-air, air-to–water, thermal, etc.)
- Task 2. Detailed component/equipment/system design/application & seasonal or annual performance assessment studies
- Task 3. Annual performance simulations of selected system concept(s) on agreed format
- Task 4. Country reports on agreed format, overall Annex final report on agreed format. Suggest areas for further study and development as appropriate